Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peace, Peace with God

I liked this defintion of the word "shalom" in Hebrew, "all things in their created place doing what they were created to do in loving relationship with their creator."  Having thought of the word "shalom" having the meaning of "peace, peace be with you" I found this definition to be thought
altering.  What if all things were in their created place, where God had placed them and wanted them were doing what God had created them to do and were doing it in loving relationship to Him; wouldn't that give peace to you and me.  Wow! Open your mind and think about it... it is mind boggling.  Everything God created, the trees, the bees, the birds, each individual person, all exactly where God wanted them and doing exactly what He wanted them to be doing.  Whether it was to be pollinating the flowers, loving a neighbor, singing a song of praise, giving oxygen to the world...whatever it is that God created it or them to do, they were doing it.  What a wonderful, peaceful, beautiful life that would be.  Maybe that is what heaven is like. Then add this verse, "And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules."  Ezekeil 36:26-27  It is God who gives us a new heart, one that is tender and soft and He gives us a new Spirit that causes us to walk in the way, His way and obey His rules.
He is the one that causes us to desire peace, peace with Him.  He causes us to desire to be in the place He created us to be in doing what He created us to do.  So that we can enjoy peace.  Shalom.
(Shalom definition by Mark Driscoll, in The Power of Words and the Wonder of God, I don't know where he got it or if he just made it up, just thought it was good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment