Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Birds

Ahh, the memories.
"The birds are coming!  The birds are coming!"  I screamed.
Like something out of a nightmarish land.
There we were out in the middle of nowhere in my Grandfather's pickup truck, riding in the back.  Thinking we were right up town.
Being from a big city, it was always a treat to visit my grandparents in their charming little town.  We would get Tall Cherry Limeades at the Fountain Drug Store and sometimes order Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  We would walk in the creek that was icy cold until our feet were blue at a nearby State Park.  Oh wow!  Those were fun days.
One year, my grandparents decided to take us for a drive in my grandfather's pickup truck.  This was a novelty for us.  We got to ride in the back with my grandmother.  We took stuff for a tea party.  When we got out in the country, my grandfather stopped the truck so we could have our tea party.  After a little while, he tried to start the truck to go home.  It wouldn't start, or so he said.  He would have to walk to get help.  So, off he went.  No worries, we just extended the tea party.  My grandmother, my little sister and I, until...
This HUGE flock of black birds starts approaching.  Having recently watched Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "The Birds," I panicked.  I started screaming, "The birds are coming!  The birds are coming!"  Jumped in the cab of the truck, screaming, "Roll up the windows!  Hurry!  Faster!  The birds are coming!"  I think I was slightly hysterical.  My grandmother thought it was quite funny.  The truck was not really broken.  Grandfather came back.  The birds flew on by.  We went home.
Until this day, those large flocks of black birds, "caw, caw-ing"  send a chill down my spine. I want to run.  I want to scream, "The birds are coming!"
Even today, as they invaded my backyard.  The yard and trees were covered with birds.  That is a lot of birds, with twenty-six acres, my backyard is big.  They were flying into the windows.  It was really getting to me.  Kind of creepy.  But funny, that it bothers me so.

Oh, well.  You just gotta love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment