Friday, October 1, 2010

Pondering, Again

As I read this verse... Luke 12:15 “And He said to them, 'Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

I began once again to ponder my accumulation of things. Do I covet? It brought me to the issue of contentment. Contentment? Yes, am I or would I be content with just what I have or less? Am I content with what God has for me? Hebrews 13:5 says, “Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' Which then brings us to an issue of trust. Do I trust God to do what He said He would do? Do I trust God to know what is best for me? Do I want to trust Him? Do I trust that He is who He says He is? He says He is good, righteous, loving, and faithful. Do I believe that?

Oh my! I have opened a can of worms, haven't I. It gives one pause to think or 'ponder.'
Let's see if we can get some of these worms back in the can.

Luke 12:15 was used as a New Testament interpretation or statement of the 10th Commandment. Exodus 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.” If you are like me...when you read that you say, “Nope, I have no desire for an ox, not that my neighbor has one, or his donkey, (not that I wouldn't like to have a donkey, a cute, little miniature one) he doesn't have one of those either. So, I know I am not coveting. I'm good.” But read Luke 12:15 again, “And He said to them, 'Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Oh dear, “abundance of possessions”? Surely not, Lord. You can't mean that. I mean, I live in the land of abundance. The American Dream is to accumulate. Are You sure You want to say, “abundance of possessions” Lord?

In the end it is like I am the child arguing with my parent about whether or not I have done what they asked me to do. I know I haven't, I mean technically, I may have done what they said, but did I really do what they intended? 

God has richly blessed me and my family, beyond what I could have imagined. He wants me to enjoy what He has given, but... not so that it takes over my life and I forget who gave it to me and why He gave it. My focus should not be on the accumulation of things but on Him.  Do I struggle with the accumulation of things?  Of course, do you?  I want to live my life to bring glory to God and God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment