Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cow Herding

We had to sort cows today.  We have two steers that are needing to prepare for Freezer Camp.  There were a couple of extra teenage boys here this weekend for Jack's birthday, so we made use of the extra help.  It was quite a challenge because they had never been around cattle before.  Cows are really big, especially when they are running towards you and a crazy man is hollering, "Don't let 'em through!"
So, me being the expert cow herder that I am had to give them a few lessons.  I tell them, "You must through your arms up in the air really fast and big.  Make yourself look bigger.  Then at the same time, holler, "HA!"  really loudly.  And take a step forward while doing that."  It was a lot for them to comprehend and coordinate at the same time.  However, it works so much better if you are wearing a cowboy hat and some cowboy boots.  It just really makes the cows think you know what you are doing.  And you can use your hat to wave at them and make yourself even larger.  Which is useful, when the whole herd is running toward you because they fear for their lives.  We really just wanted two of them to go through the gate. 
It is quite funny to watch.  My husband has a real bossy side.  I was unaware of.
I really think I need a cowgirl hat and some boots.  I would be so much better at cattle herding.

No comments:

Post a Comment