Thursday, January 6, 2011

Garden Planning -- Time to Dream

From "Fine Gardening" magazine
It is time to plan the garden for spring.  To begin, I want this really fun gate, pictured here:
Not that we have an enclosed garden, but it is just too fun.  Maybe Jerry will build it for me for my birthday.  (that is a hint) And an appropriate bench would be nice.
Now that the important part is out of the way... to the plants.  I say, since this is just dreaming stage, dream BIG! 
Available from cooksgarden.com

I want to try the sugar snap peas again.  Those were delicious.  Tomatoes, of course.  Jalapenos, Tomatillos, Habeneros, and some mild flavored Bells.  Sweet corn and sweet potatoes.  I think I will try carrots again, but I want to get some of those cool colored ones like this:  purple and yellow and orange, who knew.  I want some of those.  Green beans, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuces, okra, potatoes, zucchini ( I like the term "courgettes" much better, Molly and I are into all things French.)  yellow squash. Maybe some other French type vegetables. Like a Potager.   Where did I put that French Vegetable Garden book.  Maybe some pintos, and other beans.  Onions, lots of onions.  The garlic is already planted.  Who knows what else I might stick in there.  Hmmm.  Then there are the herbs and flowers.  Some nasturtiums, violets, marigolds, zinnias.  I wonder what other flowers are edible or good in a garden.  Basil, lots of basil different kinds, like Globe Basil, Cinnamon Basil, and Rosemary, Parsley, Cilantro, lots of cilantro, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Chives, Garlic Chives, Lemon Grass, Apple Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Chocolate Mint, I am sure that is not all.  Now, I would also like to plant a Rose Garden.  Oh yes, I also want to do a container of "Pizza Herbs" with a miniature tomato plant, oregano, basil, and a Habenero pepper.  And maybe one similar only with cilantro, and some chives for salsa.  Where are those seed catalogs?  I must look through them again.  I am sure I am leaving out something.  I can't wait.  I am so excited.  I just love the planning of a garden.  Now to draw out the plan, to make sure I have room for all this stuff.  My eyes are usually bigger than my budget and my time and energy.  But, what's life without a dream...Where are those seed catalogs?  Pumpkins, totally forgot pumpkins.
 Happy Dream Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment